On July 31st , the Military Court of Cairo sentenced the poet Galal El-Behairy to three years of prison and 10,000 Egyptian Pounds (560 USD) for “insulting the military” and “spreading false news” on charges related to his latest book of poetry, ‘The Finest Women on Earth’.
El-Behairy also faces additional charges in a separate case investigated by the High State Security Prosecution for writing the lyrics for artist Ramy Essam’s song ‘Balaha’. On 3 March 2018, El-Behairy was arrested, beaten and tortured after the release of the song.
Galal El-Behairy has been condemned to 3 years in prison. The sentence will be carried out only after military chiefs ratify it, which means President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi and Minister of Defence, Mr. Mohamed Ahmed Zakiy have the power to release Galal.
An appeal against the sentence is possible, but only following its ratification – for which there is no date. Until the ratification of the appeal, Egyptian Military Court sentences allow the army to use the condemned for any kind of work.
Both public and private petitions (see details below) are very welcome in order to put pressure on the Egyptian authorities.
We condemn this brutal repression of the freedom of expression.
We demand the immediate and unconditional release of Galal El-Behairy.
Don’t let artistic expression of dissent be silenced!
Share on Facebook, Twitter and other social media
Send letters of appeal to the Egyptian authorities:
- Protesting the continued imprisonment of poet Galal El-Behairy and calling for his immediate and unconditional release;
- Ensure the full respect of his rights as a prisoner, in accordance with international human rights standards;
- Urging the authorities to quash his sentence and to end the judicial proceedings against El-Behairy, as he is being held solely for her peaceful exercise of his right to freedom of expression;
- Guarantee the peaceful exercise of the right to freedom of expression in Egypt, including the release of all detainees held in violation of Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to which Egypt is a State party.
Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, Office of the President,
Al Ittihadia Palace, Cairo, Arab Republic of Egypt,
Fax: +202 2 391 1441
Salutation: Your Excellency Twitter: @AlsisiOfficial
Minister of Justice
Mohamed Hossam Abdel Rahim
Ministry of Justice,
Fax: +202 2 795 8103
Salutation: Dear Minister
Please send your letters via the Embassy of the Egypt in your country. Addresses may be found here.
- Sign the petition for Galal El-Behairy
- Share news on social media with hastags #FreeGalalPrisonersOfBalaha
- Read Galal El-Behairy’s statement here: Letter Galal El Behairy Egypt May 18 English
- Read Galal El-Behairy’s poem which has written in prison : available in English and in Arabic.