■ JOB OPENING ■
Senior Financial Administrator
Artists at Risk (AR) / Perpetuum Mobile (PM)
ARTISTS at RISK (AR) is hiring a Financial Administrator with extensive experience.
ARTISTS at RISK (AR) is a non-profit organisation (equivalency determination as a 501c-3) active at the intersection of human rights and the arts. Since 2013, AR has built a mondial network of arts and non-profits, municipalities, states and international organizations to assist, relocate and fund artists who are at risk of persecution, oppression or fleeing war or terror. AR hosted artists in 26 locations in 19 countries globally, prior to the Ukraine war. Since the beginning of the Russian invasion, currently over 500 hosting institutions have joined the platform across Europe in order relocate and support the over 800 art practitioner at risk from Ukraine, and 250 dissident artists at risk of persecution, imprisonment, torture or worse from Russia and Belarus.
In coordination with partners and other networks, AR continues to build a broad horizontal network of AR-Safe Havens around the world, as a global advocate for art practitioners at risk. AR is dedicated to supporting persecuted art practitioners, facilitating their safe passage from their countries of origin, hosting them at AR-Residences and curating related projects, including the AR Pavilion.
The position of Financial Administrator plays a central role in the organisation, working closely with the Co-Directors and other members of the AR Secretariat and our chartered accountant. This position coordinates multiple grants from municipalities, government ministries, national networks, international organisations, arts councils, private foundations, as well as funds from donations and fundraisers. Some of the grants are for networks, such as the Creative Europe network “Artists at Risk (AR) – A European Network of Safe Havens”, which involves several partner-institutions. Financial reporting to funders and budgeting projects (grant administration), as well as internal accounting for the whole organisation is done in close cooperation with the external accounting office and auditors (financial administration).
- Coordinating several network grants with donors and respective partner institutions
- Overall management of existing grants, including budget writing and allocations (from the EU, the Nordic Council of Ministers, private foundations, ministries, UNESCO, Goethe Institute, SWAN Network, Andy Warhol Foundation, Teiger Foundation, etc)
- Financial reporting to funders
- Budgeting for fundraising as part of long-term preparations
- Documenting payments and expenditures
- Internal accounting for the whole organisation in close cooperation with the external accounting office and auditors
- Fluency in spoken and written English. As our legal entity is based in Finland, knowledge of the Finnish language is a plus, but not a necessity. Additional language skills are a plus, especially French.
- Strong experience in grant management and financial administration.
- Extensive experience with relevant software (i.e., Google Suite, particularly Google Sheets/Excel).
- Experience in the fields of the arts and/or human rights is an advantage, but not required.
- The ability to perform well under pressure in a fast-paced environment. Independent thinking and close attention to detail are required. Experience in guiding a team on financial matters is a plus.
- Interest, indeed, enthusiasm in contributing to building and developing a steadily-growing international network-institution, with dozens of partnerships around the world.
- AR/PM employs several online software solutions and security measures, and you should be adept at the use and learning of new IT systems.
- Willingness to work across several funding, taxation and legal jurisdictions and enthusiasm to learn as you go.
Location: Online (anywhere, although time-zone differences play a role). Stable internet and own home-office equipment required. Shared AR/PM office facilities are in Lapinlahti, Helsinki.
Job hours: 50% full-time or more, depending on the agreement.
Please send your CV as a PDF together with a short informal cover letter stating your qualifications, salary proposals and the date you could start to email@example.com.
Recruitment will be closed as soon as the role is filled.
Interviews with applicants will be conducted on a rolling basis. On-boarding will start at the earliest possible date.
Artists at Risk (AR) / Perpetuum Mobile (PM) looks forward to hearing from you!